Sunday, December 20, 2009

Resident Lounge

The lounge, as I have said, has been a special project for my friend Cade. Now he has had his set backs, but, he has done a great deal to improve it. Miss Ann Thrope, and others have put time into making the place feel more comfortable and home like as well. Now, Darshita, one of the new first year residents has decided to take a collection to put in a video gaming system. Everyone has agreed and it sounds like a great idea. I have refused to contribute the first red penny, even after Darshita had to inform everyone that the price per person would be rising just because I was the one person who would not pitch in. I feel like Yossarian when he refused to contribute to the building of the officer's club. "Actually there were many officer's clubs that Yossarian had not helped to build, but he was proudest of the one on Pianosa. It was a sturdy and complex monument to his powers of determination. Yossarian never went there to help until it was finished; then he went there often, so pleased was he with the fine, large, rambling shingled building. It was truly a splendid structure, and Yossarian throbbed with a mighty sense of accomplishment each time he gazed at it and reflected that none ofthe work that had gone into it was his. " Actually, as my residency experience drags on, I begin to relate to Yossarian, trapped on Pianosa, more and more. And I see the awful similarities between the military beurocracy described in the book and the sphere of academic medicine. I think the infamous hang up is actually written into our own by laws somewhere, or evrywhere. At least nobody is trying to kill me, at least that I know of.

No comments:

Post a Comment